Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hi there

The 3d anniversary of my dad's death is this week.  He's been gone almost as long as he had Alzheimer's. It's blunted now; I don't think about it as much, but when I do, the anger and the grief are still there.
On Sunday we were playing a word game that uses tiles similar to Scrabble.  The first game, every letter pulled was R.  I had every R.  R was my dad's favorite letter, since his initials were RRR.  My first license plate was ORRR because RRR was already taken. (I loved that, as you can imagine.  Not.)  Anyway, as I kept getting more and more Rs, I could only think it was my dad's simple way of saying hi.
Hi Dad.  Miss you lots. 

2 comments:

karen said...

I think he was saying hi to you. It was 21 yrs in Oct. since my dad died. I had a dream once of him standing by his Red Ford Truck with a fishing pole in his hands. I think that was him telling me he was ok. That is the one and only dream I have had of him since he died and it was right after so I guess he is really busy catching those fish.

Mona Johnson said...

Bert, hi. How funny about the Rs! Last Friday was the 5th anniversary of my Dad's death, and for the first time, it really seemed like years ago. As the years pass, we have fewer memories of his illness, and more of all the good times. Hope it's the same for you.