Saturday, September 12, 2009

World Alzheimer's Day is September 21!

I've been inundated with emails and notes from various Alzheimer's charities and groups about their promotions leading up to World Alzheimer's Day on September 21
We're right around the 2 year anniversary of when my dad was violently taken from the house after trying to kill my mom, and thus he started on the horrible spiral that led to his death 2 months later.   I can't bear to read it again, maybe I never will, but if you are interested it starts here.
I can't imagine when I will ever be able to look back at the months of September, October and November 2007 without pain.  Some days I can't even bear to think about my father.   It's usually when I am alone, driving, when it hits me--a song on the radio, passing a store or restaurant he liked, or even a random chain of thoughts that leads me to think my dad was stolen from me and no matter what drugs they come up with now, I can never ever get him back.  Then I drive the long way home, until I finish crying.
Which is my excuse, I guess, for neglecting this blog.  I think about writing, but it stirs everything up, and then I end up in front of my computer crying into my cat's fur. 
Here are some of the campaigns that have been brought to my attention lately.  If I missed yours, let me know!

  • Alzheimer’s Research Trust has launched a nationwide awareness and fundraising campaign called Memories Matter. In the run-up to World Alzheimer’s Day on September 21st, they have created a special website - www.memories-matter.org – inviting members of the public and celebrities alike (including Terry Pratchett, Tony Robinson and Michael Parkinson) to share their special memories on the Memory Wall.
  • The Alzheimer's Association sponsors a Memory Walk every year to raise money.   Visit the web site to find the nearest walk.  The ones in New Haven and Hartford are both on October 4.
  • The Alzheimer's Association of CT asks that everyone wear purple (the color of the Alzheimer's bracelets) on September 21, and send a photo of everyone at work in purple to:  christianne.kovel@alz.org for use on their website. 
  • Wellsphere will have a special TV show on Alzheimer's set to premiere Sept 21 at 8pm on RLTV (retirement living tv). Watch preview clips on www.rl.tv.

No comments: