Sunday, May 03, 2009

Climbing for Alzheimer's

Mark Zimmer contacted me and asked me to publicize his Climbing for Alzheimer's charity climbing.
He writes:


Thanks so much for your willingness to post this; the more people that know about these climbs, the more good my efforts will do. If you are interested, we have a group on Facebook that you can join. Search "Summit Up" and we are number 1.

My name is Mark Zimmer, and I am a 23 year old from Grand Rapids, Michigan. I recently began an effort with the Alzheimer's Association to climb the highest elevation in each of the 50 states to raise money and awareness for Alzheimer's. Alzheimer's first touched me when I was young and my great-grandmother passed away from it. I still see the effects of it daily, as my grandfather is towards the end of his fight with this terrible disease. Knowing how Alzheimer's has affected my family, and so many other families across the country, I wanted to use my climbs for something more than personal satisfaction.

It is my goal to climb the highest peak in a state every month. Having just gotten underway in April, my climbs will last until May 2013. I am raising money by attracting corporate sponsors to have me carry a flag representing them. We are also are accepting personal donations. If you are interested in supporting our efforts to raise awareness, you can make a donation here. For a donation of $9.99 or more, we will send you a picture from each of the 50 state peaks, thanking you for your support. It is a great way to learn about the varying state highpoints, keep up on our climbs, and support our effort to raise money for a cure.

I think we all know of someone who has had to fight with Alzheimer's, and it is horrible. Let's work to make a difference while we all still can. Remember, we're all climbers!

Mark Zimmer
Summit Up
www.SummitUpUSA.com

No comments: