Monday, February 04, 2013

alternate universes, or the "maybe" game

For some reason I started thinking about alternate universes today.  Forgive my lack of scientific words, but there is a theory (not science fiction or fantasy, but a real actual scientific idea) called a Multiverse, that posits that everything that ever could have happened, did happen, just in some other world that lies parallel to ours.  That makes me wonder if that place (those places) are the afterlife we dream of and hope for.  In some of those worlds:
  • My dad is still alive and clear-minded and we visit Aunt Bert every Friday because she is also alive and clear-minded at 94 years old.  
  • My grandpa didn't die of cancer 25 years ago.
  • My grandma didn't have a stroke a year ago.  
  • I am thin.  
  • I am a paleontologist with a dinosaur named after me and I have held the claw of a raptor and the tooth of a t-rex.
  • I have run my fingers through a tiger's fur.  
  • I have written best-selling novels and I hobnob with famous writers.  
  • I am working with elephants so I can clone a mammoth.  
That is something that can sustain me.  Every once in a while, I get a hint of cross-over, I feel like just there, so close I can touch her, Another Bert has done something amazing, and I get an echo.   Maybe on days that I feel sad for no reason, something bad has happened to one of my Others.  My pet lived, but hers died.  She has lost something that I got to keep.  And I have lost so much, and perhaps they kept it.  (They can all keep the weight I've lost, that's for sure.)
I am reading Terry Pratchett's newest book, Dodger.  To think this came out of the mind of someone who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 5 years ago is amazing.  I know he has some help writing now, but his voice is still strongly there.  And maybe, for this world, the trade-off was my dad died and Sir Terry got to live.  Maybe in another world, my dad lived and they lost Terry Pratchett. 
We should know all this, shouldn't we? We are living in the future, aren't we?  The original Cyberpunk game was set in 2013 (then moved to 2020 and now it's being reborn in 2077).  1984, 2001, they were all supposed to be amazing futures.   Cell phones are amazing, the internet is incredible, but where are the flying cars? Why don't we live on the moon?  Why don't I have a port in my head to connect my computer?  Why don't we have awesome cyborgs and laser weapons?
Why can't we see into those other universes?  Just to KNOW, not to communicate.  Even if he's dead now of a heart attack, to know that somewhere my father didn't suffer and die as a virtual vegetable.  That my garden is beautiful because my grandpa lived long enough to help me with it.  That maybe everyone I know who is boring and ordinary, like me, is extraordinary somewhere else, even if it's only on one world out of a million.
Maybe there are other worlds where dementia and cancer don't exist or have been cured.  (I imagine they are even more grossly overpopulated than this world, though.)  Where there are no Alzheimer's blogs or awards for them because they aren't needed.
And maybe in all of them, my dad is dead.  I don't know if I'll ever know.  But I like to think that it's possible he's still there, somewhere, even if it's just at the Elsewhere Bar.
(image source)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this blog serves as an inspiration for those who have family members who are suffering from this disease. without blogs like these, the alzheimer community would not have as much recognition as it does today

Micknuch said...

I have created a New Therapy that combines the existing "Music Therapy" with images/video from an Alzheimer patients past to help spark the mind. AMVIT-Alzheimers Music Video and Image Therapy. The combination of a persons life from the years of 18-25 through Music AND Video will spark emotions and cheerful thoughts. I have created a slideshow for my father and it REALLY makes him excited when he watches. Watch my fathers video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jo_DqH2ldU I will be helping millions afflicted by Alzheimers get some ease very simply, cheaply, and most importantly NON invasively. For more info, Please visit my project's crowdfunding page medstartr.com AMVIT.